A lot of our projects fall under a general heading of technical advice (we have included our sustainability advice here as well).
We have recently undertaken a project where a high profile client has used our greenhouse and sustainability skill sets to identify and reduce their greenhouse and environmental footprint as far as possible, and then used our Carbon Offset Portfolio approach to reduce their emissions while gaining a sustainability dividend. We can not say much more until the project they are working on is released except that it is a first for their sector.
Work has been completed for Government, for instance the National Greenhouse Gas Inventory/ National Greenhouse Accounts, while other projects have involved the creation of policy positions, greenhouse calculators, undertaking reviews, conducting research etc.
Technical advice projects have included:
- Sustainability assessment of five child care centres’ use of energy, water and chemicals and their waste production and use of recycled products. This work was undertaken on behalf of a Local Government. It involved developing data gathering processes including a comprehensive questionnaire, analysing the results, providing suggestions to improve sustainability and exploring the types of grants and rebates that are available to fund improvements to sustainability. Outcomes have been used to identify feasible projects for each Centre and to support grant applications.
- Research and input into a full fuel cycle comparison of buses using Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel or Compressed Natural Gas, focusing on greenhouse and other pollutants.
- Production of a report and associated datasheets of the emissions arising Industrial Processes for the 2007 National Greenhouse Accounts (NGA). Production data, emission factors and emission levels were gathered and analysed at Federal and State level for Cement, Aluminium, Lime, Synthetic Rutile, Titanium Dioxide and Magnesia.
- Review of the text and formula for Industrial Processes sector (Cement, Aluminium, Lime, Synthetic Rutile, Titanium Dioxide and Magnesia) for the NGERS legislative instrument.
- Specialist support on the Industrial Processes (Cement, Aluminium, Lime, Synthetic Rutile, Titanium Dioxide and Magnesia) for the in-country review of the NGA conducted by the UNFCCC’s Expert Review Team
- Production of a report and associated datasheets of the emissions arising Industrial Processes for the 2006 National Greenhouse Gas Inventory (NGGI). Production data, emission factors and emission levels were gathered and analysed at Federal and State level for Cement, Aluminium, Lime, Synthetic Rutile, Titanium Dioxide and Magnesia.
- Undertake a review of clinical waste and solvent incineration in Australia to gather data for the NGGI.
- Undertake a review of industrial wastewater treatment and methane recovery across eight agricultural processing and manufacturing sectors (Beer and Malt, Pulp, Paper and Paperboard, Sugar, Wine, Dairy, Fruit and Vegetable, Meat and Poultry) in Australia to gather data for the NGGI.
- Presentation to major utility’s Board on their historical and projected greenhouse performance and electricity consumption for the supply of one of their services.
- Peer review for a client of a consultant’s report addressing future electricity prices and their interaction with climate change.
- Judge of Greenhouse Challenge Plus Awards in September 2007
- Presented seminar on Greenhouse to the “Greening of Business” in the Masters of Environmental Management and Development program at the Australian National University, with the themes of strategic approach, measurement, literacy, stewardship and cooperating with communities.
- Developed a greenhouse emissions calculator for a client’s retail staff and potentially for their customers.
- Produced easily understood and justifiable text highlighting greenhouse performance of a client for potential use in their publicity materials.
- Provided advice on questions relating to greenhouse, energy and environmental issues to a major electricity generator.
- Review of the performance of the Australian Government’s Greenhouse Allies program.
- Produced policy position paper on greenhouse, energy and environmental issues for a major utility.
- Participation in early phase of the international Institutional Dimensions of Global Environmental Change, Carbon Management Research Activity.